We have eggplants coming out our ears and I’ve been trying to find creative ways to eat them! I’m usually not a huge fan, although I’ve found that salting them helps to remove some of the bitterness and adds flavor! The texture was something my kids had to get used to, but this recipe was a huge hit for them! We also really like our eggplant pizza crust, but I’m always looking for more ideas!
Of course I need it short and simple, but not lacking in flavor! This recipe certainly hit that. I made the recipe with the ingredients listed below and I thought it was going to be plenty! It was about 10 slices per person, but we ended up quite short and needed to pull out some leftovers from the fridge to supplement dinner! It was a good problem to have. I can say that doesn’t happen very often… that I don’t make enough food to eat!
I think in part since this is a vegetarian meal, it doesn’t lend to filling bellies very quickly! We did have some stew left from a few nights ago which filled us up significantly and all was good! All that to say… if you have a tree climbing hubby who can eat a bear for dinner and two growing boys (only 6 and 4, but eat more than their mama) who consistently have hollow legs to fill, a little girl who is a crazy ball of fire who is in constant motion and mama who is nursing a growing baby… then 2 eggplants isn’t enough and the recipe would probably need to be doubled!
This was a huge hit and none of us are usually big fans of eggplant… it looks like that is about to change. It is also a great seasonal dish since all these ingredients are due for harvest about now!
Grilled Eggplant with Tomato, Basil and Raw Goat Feta
2 large eggplants
2 large tomatoes
¼ cup chopped fresh basil
Raw goat feta cheese
- Chop tomatoes and add basil and sprinkle with olive oil – the longer it sits at room temp the more the flavors meld.
- Wash and slice the eggplant. slice on a diagonal to make each piece larger
- Spread out flat on a tea towel and generously salt the face of each piece of eggplant
- Let sit for about 15 minutes
- Pat dry with a different tea towel.
- Flip the eggplant pieces and repeat the salting
- Grill until tender and cooked.
- Serve warm eggplant and top with tomato and basil and small slice of raw goat cheese.
So give it a try and PLEASE let me know what you think! We think it is AMAZING! And SUPER FANTASTIC!