Just this week we had these for dinner with fish instead of steak. I had forgotten how good they are! We had dinner with some friends and they agreed they were tasty as well!
I think I’ve mentioned it 1000 times before, but I don’t cook fish very often. This is a favorite and will be repeated! Hopefully we don’t get tired of it! It is so simple and delish! The slaw to go with it is what makes them so yummy! I’ve used this same slaw with steak tacos as well and it is just as good.
The original recipe is from Cooking Light in April of 2007. I don’t think we tried it until last year, so either I had some one’s hand-me-magazines (and I’m glad they didn’t rip out this recipe!) or I just kept the recipe that long! I’m really not sure which it is. The original can be viewed here and was for steak, but I almost like the fish better.
The first part of the recipe is for seasoning the steak, which is also amazing. If you are using this recipe for the fish, then just bake or broil til done. I used salmon and didn’t season it at all. The slaw had plenty of seasoning that blended well with the salmon.
As usual, the recipe listed here is VERY similar to the original, but with my own additions/subtractions/clarifications.
1 tablespoon sugar
1 ½ teaspoons grated peeled fresh ginger
1 ½ teaspoons fish sauce
½ teaspoon chili garlic sauce (such as Lee Kum Kee)
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
4 garlic cloves grated
1 pound flank steak, trimmed
¼ cup fresh lime juice (lemon works just as well)
2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1 ½ teaspoons peeled finely grated fresh ginger
1 ½ teaspoons fish sauce (we like [amazon_link id=”B004M050W2″ target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]Red Boat[/amazon_link])
½ teaspoon chili garlic sauce
4 garlic cloves, grated
3 cups thinly sliced cabbage
2 cups finely grated carrots
¼ cup sliced green onions
½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
8 (6-inch) fat-free flour tortillas (corn tortillas are much better for the fish tacos)
Or for a grain free option try my tortillas!
To prepare steak:
- Combine first 6 ingredients in a large zip-top plastic bag. Add steak to bag; seal and marinate in refrigerator 2 hours, turning occasionally.
- Prepare grill or broiler.
- Remove steak from bag; discard marinade. Place steak on grill rack or broiler pan coated with cooking spray; cook 5 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness. Let stand 5 minutes. Cut steak diagonally across grain into thin slices.
To prepare fish:
- Place in baking dish and bake for approximately 20-30 minutes or until desired dress of doneness. Or grill or briol.
- After finished, shred fish into small pieces.
To prepare slaw:
- Combine juice and next 6 ingredients (through garlic cloves) in a large bowl. Add cabbage and next 3 ingredients (through cilantro); toss well to combine.
Lia Huber, Cooking Light
Enjoy these tasty tacos and let me know how they turn out for you!