This dish has been one of dear hubby’s favorites over the past few years. There is also another friend of ours that always talks about the time we had this dish together. It became one of his favorite meals and most times when we were together it was brought up one way or another!
It’s probably been a few years since I’ve made it. I don’t usually purchase chicken breasts or thighs that are skined and deboned. Bottom line… It’s too pricey. Usually I just get a whole chicken and these days my boys are eating so much I don’t have enough left over chicken for another full meal! 😉
So as a surprise for dear hubby I made this dish last week! I actually couldn’t locate the tried and true recipe I’ve used for years and I was worried it wouldn’t turn out right. I did a lot of looking online for a recipe, but I couldn’t find one that sounded right or looked tasty enough… so I just had to come up with my own!
It worked beautifully! However, dear hubby was suffering from seasonal allergies and had a clogged nose and deadened taste buds. He couldn’t really taste it. The rest of the family totally demolished almost all of it, but poor Brian didn’t enjoy it like he usually does. I will be making this again once the allergy season starts to move on by! 😉
So give it a go and give me some feedback on what you think!
Thai Chicken Basil
- 2 lbs chicken
- [amazon_link id=”B001EO5Q64″ target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]Coconut oil[/amazon_link]
- 1 large onion
- 6-8 cloves of garlic
- 8-10 thai chilis (hot) diced
- 4 TBSP fish sauce
- 2 TBSP [amazon_link id=”B0046IIXTW” target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]tamari[/amazon_link]
- 2 TBSP [amazon_link id=”B005P0JP56″ target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]sucanat[/amazon_link], maple syrup, honey or other sweetener of coice
- 2 TBSP [amazon_link id=”B00FTCE63G” target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]arrowroot[/amazon_link]
- ¾ cup chicken stock
- 1/4 tsp ground pepper
- 3 cups fresh thai basil
- 2 cups [amazon_link id=”B002BWS1OM” target=”_blank” container=”” container_class=”” ]quinoa[/amazon_link]
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup water
- Mix uncooked quinoa, chicken stock and water in a rice cooker and turn it on.
- Chop chicken into bite sized pieces or grind it
- Mix fish sauce, tamari, sucanat, arrowroot, chicken stock and pepper together and pour over the chicken, let marinate for 30 minutes or more.
- Heat oil in wok over medium high heat.
- Saute onion, stirring continually for about 2 minutes. Add chilis and garlic.
- Cook for another minute
- Remove chicken from the marinade with a slotted spoon and add it to the hot pan.
- Cook until almost done, about 5-7 minutes.
- Add the marinade and cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the basil.
Traditionally served over rice, but can make the quinoa in chicken stock and water and serve over that for a paleo option.
So there it is!!! Have a go!